Guy Rouillier wrote:
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 08:09:57 -0500
"Ronald J. Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sunday 08 February 2004 02:45 am, Guy Rouillier wrote:
->I just got a new laptop that has no floppy.  With both Mandrake 9.2
->32-bit and the AMD64 beta, every time they boot they print out an
insmod->error during "checking for new hardware" because the box has
no floppy->disk drive.  Everything appears to work fine, so the
message is just->a minor irritation.  How can I tell the kernel not to
look for a floppy->during bootup? The only mention I could find of a
floppy in startup->config files was ide-floppy in devfsd(not booted at
the moment, I think->that was it.) Can I simply remove that? Thanks.

Not only the kernel will gave you this error message: lauch DrakConf *from a terminal*, give the root passwoed and you will see in the terminal 2 or three times this message. This does not have any consequence except that it take a few seconds to fail each time it try to load the floppy module. The easier workaround I have found is to insert the following line

insmod floppy /bin/false

in /etc/modules.conf

This will cause the inserting of floppy to fail immediatly (you will see that DrakConf, for example, start much faster).

You could disable this message by inserting "insmod floppy /bin/true" insted of "insmod floppy /bin/false" in /etc/modules.conf. Howhever if you do this the system will still try to insert the floppy module without succeed but believing it has succeed. I wouldn't suggest you to do this.

If you've got everything else going the way that you want, why not just turn harddrake off under MCC -> services so it won't even check for new hardware?

I plug in a USB mouse and compact flash into the built-in memory card
reader.  If I don't leave harddrake active, those are not detected.  I
have done that on other installations though.  Thanks for the idea.

(just don't forget to turn it back on if you do add new hardware)

--

/\

Dark<
>Lord