Guy Rouillier wrote:
Olivier Esser wrote:

Guy Rouillier wrote:

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 08:09:57 -0500
"Ronald J. Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sunday 08 February 2004 02:45 am, Guy Rouillier wrote:
->I just got a new laptop that has no floppy.  With both Mandrake 9.2
->32-bit and the AMD64 beta, every time they boot they print out an
insmod->error during "checking for new hardware" because the box has
no floppy->disk drive.  Everything appears to work fine, so the
message is just->a minor irritation.  How can I tell the kernel not to
look for a floppy->during bootup? The only mention I could find of a
floppy in startup->config files was ide-floppy in devfsd(not booted at
the moment, I think->that was it.) Can I simply remove that? Thanks.

Not only the kernel will gave you this error message: lauch DrakConf *from a terminal*, give the root passwoed and you will see in the terminal 2 or three times this message. This does not have any consequence except that it take a few seconds to fail each time it try to load the floppy module. The easier workaround I have found is to insert the following line

insmod floppy /bin/false

in /etc/modules.conf

I tried this with Mandrake 9.2. Unfortunately it did not work for me. I got this during bootup:

modprobe: modprobe: Invalid line in /etc/modules.conf ^Iinsmod

I don't have a control I at the beginning of the line, so I don't know why it is reporting that. And once this error occurs, all my other filesystems are no longer mountable. Is there something else I need to be doing?

Ouups... the line to insert in /etc/modules.conf is:

install floppy /bin/false

Sorry for the inconvenience. I have writen my e-mail too fast.

For your information, this line tell modprobe to use the command /bin/false instead of the command insmod to install the floppy module. /bin/false is a command which do nothing but which fail to do it (sorry for being a bit vague). As I told previously you will still get error message but the system won't wast time to fail anymore. Writing /bin/true instead of /bin/false will disable the error messages but I think it won't be a good idea to do it since maybe some program have to know that the access of the floppy has failed.

Olivier Esser