----- Original Message -----
From: "H.J.Bathoorn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 4:46 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Help! Linux won't boot! --Even more info. Please help!

> On Tuesday 10 February 2004 03:11, Marc Resnick wrote:
> > Well I tried booting with the MDK cd 1. I booted from cdrom and chose
the
> > upgrade option. As soon as I got to partitioning, I got the error 'Could
> > not mount hda5', and I could do nothing about it. Please tell me I'm not
> > going to have to reinstall Linux. An easy solution would be much nicer.
>
> An easy solution might not be there but your install probably is still
there.
> Looks to me you hosed up your partition table or at the least changed the
> existing partition order.
>
> Before you go any further strain your memory and see if you can jot down
what
> your partition table looked like before you started messing in it.
> By that I mean mount-points, names, order and especially size. If you can
> remember the sizes you might be able to recognize the original partitions.
>
> Then boot into rescue-mode with the install CD (hit F1 and type "rescue")
and
> use fdisk or cfdisk (I'm not sure the latter is there, though) to check
the
> partitions. Don't alter any partitions before you are 100% sure that they
are
> what they are i.e. mount them first to see what's on them.
>
> Tread warily, you're on very thin ice here!
>
> If the above is over your head; Say so and we'll try and get you there
step by
> step.
>
> Good luck,
> HarM
> --
> Registered Linux User #197998
> FSF Associate Member #901
> ICQ #146191606
> Mandrake HowTo's & more: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org

Well I now realize what I did, which is a start. And I do remember the sizes
and names. At the start of the extended partition was hda5. It was about 5
gb, and was my main partition for Linux. Next came my swap. It was pretty
small, probably 1 gb or less. Then came my root partition which was about 3
gb I think. After I messed around with it, I added a 3gb partition to the
beginning of the extended partition. Should I have added it to the end?

Anyhow, I'll be checking this out as soon as I get home from school.

--Marc

----