On Tuesday 10 Feb 2004 6:58 pm, hugenots wrote:
> well there is one question maybe going same direction
>
> MD is fine for desktop PC, but is it wise to chose it as any kind of
> sever? what I mean is ftp, mail, web!?
>
> --------------------------------
> force, my friend, is violence!
>  hugenots                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have never understood why people think Mandrake is a desktop distro, and
RedHat is a server distro.

Granted I have a lot more Mandrake experience than RedHat, but my personal
observation is that Mandrake makes a better server distro.
For instance I do not see any equivalent in RedHat of the 'Server wizards'
(Install the drakwizard RPM and they appear in Mandrake Control Centre)

Nor as far as I can see does RedHat have anything like msec  which will
routinely secure your system.

I think also Mandrake came out with Samba3 well before RedHat.

All the server apps you could possibly want are included, mostly with sensible
defaults already set up in their configuration fiiles.
Mandrake also gives you several choices. For example both Apache1.3 and
Apache2.0 are included, as is Samba2 and Samba3.
For mail servers Mandrake defaults to Postfix which is more secure than the
Sendmail RedHat defaults to.  (Sendmail is included too)

derek

www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org