Bios upgrades
=============

First off, not the fearsome thing it is made out to be.

I just learnt the hard way a few precautionary things
that saves time and grief.

1) Go into BIOS and turn of all virus detection settings.
2) Buy a spare bios chip(they don't cost much - £5 UK PCCI)
3) Back up your old bios to a floppy.
4) My MSI bios chip upgrade website is very confusing,at first.

I did mine the "dos floppy" route, as I cannot trust
freeserve , my ISP, not to cut me off.So no flash bios.

In any case I think I prefer the dos floppy route, more
real control.

Now, even if you don't have a second bios chip and you screw up, all is not lost provided that you have access to
another computer with the same type of bios chip.An
upgrade of that chip can be effected by means of substituting
the machine's bios chip for the reprogrammed chip at the critical last moment before it is written to chip. After all
you still have the machine's original bios chip to fall back on.

The result.
I now have very large HD capability
I noticed on first boot that the mounting of my smart card reader went smoothly, something it has never done before.
Too early to tell if that is final, but encouraging nevertheless.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]