On Saturday 14 February 2004 11:15 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> I will want to be looking to construct afresh. Whats your
>  thinking about 64 bit architecture. I read recently AMD have a
> chip that runs both 32 and 64bit though I don't know what mobos
> will suit. Will Mandrake keep up with this developement ? Will
> anyone be shipping OS's for 64 bit by this time next year?

     There's already 64bit OS's includin Mandrake. You'll need
somebody else to comment tho. I'm not interested in 64bit at this
time.  I think until there's a preponderance of software ported
to 64bit, you're better off with 32bit hardware.

> I just don't have enough time to do the searching for
> equipement and such like, tend to leave
> that to others, and take advice,

    I'm afraid you'll need to do some of your own research. As I
said before, to settle on a board that fits your requirements. As
Charles' reply to this thread points out, 3d/acell for KT600
chipsets is a Linux (kernel) problem. Doesn't affect me cause I
avoid closed source proprietary drivers.  Actually there's a
whole lot'a hardware that's goin to be a problem for a while with
2.6.x kernels and closed source drivers and software.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas