On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:09:31 -0500
Allen/gore/SlackWareWolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sunday 15 February 2004 10:08 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > On Saturday 14 February 2004 11:15 am, John Richard Smith
> wrote:
> > > I will want to be looking to construct afresh. Whats
> > > your thinking about 64 bit architecture. I read
> > > recently AMD have a chip that runs both 32 and 64bit
> > > though I don't know what mobos will suit. Will Mandrake
> > > keep up with this developement ? Will anyone be
> > > shipping OS's for 64 bit by this time next year?
> >
> >      There's already 64bit OS's includin Mandrake. You'll
> > need somebody else to comment tho. I'm not interested in
> > 64bit at this time.  I think until there's a
> > preponderance of software ported to 64bit, you're better
> > off with 32bit hardware.
> >
> > > I just don't have enough time to do the searching for
> > > equipement and such like, tend to leave
> > > that to others, and take advice,
> >
> >     I'm afraid you'll need to do some of your own
> > research. As I said before, to settle on a board that
> > fits your requirements. As Charles' reply to this thread
> > points out, 3d/acell for KT600 chipsets is a Linux
> > (kernel) problem. Doesn't affect me cause I avoid closed
> > source proprietary drivers.  Actually there's a whole
> > lot'a hardware that's goin to be a problem for a while
> > with 2.6.x kernels and closed source drivers and
> > software.
> Do you really actually gain anything with 64 bit? 32 bit is
> fast, and 64 bit can claim to be faster, but you're still
> executing larger instructions. It may be doing it faster,
> but the instruction is still larger, so is their actually a
> noticeable speed increase? I doubt most people who are
> running off to buy these have any clue what the hell they
> are talking about lol. This being faster is just like using
> the analogy for a road. The speed limit may be 64, but how
> many lanes does it have? Remember, a road with a smaller
> speed limit but more lanes will out perform as long as the
> speed limit isn't a LOT lower ;)

Linux Format Magazine has a supplement called Linux Pro which has recently
summarised the case for 64-bit computing.  Their general conclusion is that
the average desktop user does not need it - yet.  It is inherently slower
than 32-bit at present because of cache size limitations; a cache of a
particular size will hold twice as many 32-bit addresses as 64.  As in all
things PC, the choice depends to a large extent on the the main job of the
machine.  64-bit has an advantage when dealing with huge data sets, especially
if those require more than 4 gigabytes of RAM (the limit for 32-bit).

At work (Royal Observatory Edinburgh) back in the early 1990s we used some DEC
Alpha machines as UNIX workstations and those did seem to run faster than the
Sun hardware; but they did have the advantage of 500+ MHz processors.

--
Len Lawrence