On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> Hello, just want to get some ideas, on a buy I want to make. I want to
> get a cdrw, any clues which ones are good under linux (mandrake 6.0).

This has been discussed ad-nauseum the last week or so. Basically any
of 'em today will work fine, from what I gather. If you have SCSI,
the "Smart & Friendly" company (www.smartandfriendly.com) has a CDRW
for $99. It's not the fastest drive around... I think it's 4-6-4 or
something, but hey, it burns a CD for ya... :-)
If you want speed, go with one of the IDE ones, but I know the early
IDE CDR drives had a tendancy to make coasters because of buffer
underruns -- basically not enough buffer to hold all the data it's
trying to write. I suspect that has been fixed by now, or you
wouldn't see so many IDE CDR/CDRW drives on the shelves these days.
:-)
No matter whether you go with the EIDE or the SCSI CDRW, youll end up
using a SCSI interface, at least that's what you'll tell Linux you're
using. It's more like SCSI emulation, but you the computer still
thinks of your CDR/W as a SCSI device.
        John