On Friday 13 February 2004 01:50 pm, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> Hmm, I use Kmail and was following another thread where Spamassassin was
> detailed (Derek J. I believe).
>
> I followed it as best as I could, but I've got a couple of questions.
>
> Speed. Wow. It slows my email download from cable speeds to dial up speeds.
> I'm talking 3-5 times longer here. Any way to speed that up?

Well, it does run it's tests on each message, but even on dial-up I don't
notice a slowdown that I would consider significant.  My wife gets hundreds
of messages a day, and the download process doesn't irritate her.

> After I quit Kmail, spamd is still running. Is there something to adjust so
> that it dies when not it in use? It slows some games like UT2004demo way
> down. Sure, I can kill it but...

I can't figure out how one daemon is slowing a game, unless you are set to
download mail automatically when it arrives on your mail server.  Maybe you
can try setting the client to only download messages when you request it to
do so???  Are you running with "procmail" or just with Kmail (the way I do
it). I seem to recall that if SA is <pipe through> spamc that it is much
faster than spamd, even though spamd must be running for spamc to work.  And
you have SA called by the Kmail filter system and have it set to not check
messages greater than 250KB in size?

> Training. I was wondering how you get it to filter mail that its not
> filtering currently? I'm still getting those "unknown" messages just every
> now and then. I saved the msg as "unknown.txt" then I used:
>
> sa-learn --spam --file uknown.txt
>
> It reported positively, no errors, but I've gotten that same kind of
> message on 3 subsequent Kmail sessions since then.

If the "unknown" message contains dictionary words in html, white on a white
background, the message would appear blank.  Your system would recognize that
the words were there, but you can't see them (spammers are slimey bastards),
and unless you have an extensive ham-to-spam Bayes library, the message would
probably not be tagged spam.  This type of attack only works for a little
while, though, because once you have enough messages to get SA trained it
will recognize the difference between "hammy" and "spammy" words, and unless
the spammer gets really lucky and happens to include enough ham in the
dictionary portion of the message it will be flagged spam anyway.