On Monday 16 Feb 2004 7:57 pm, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> On Monday 16 February 2004 05:48 am, Derek Jennings wrote:
>
> ->If in kmail you pipe through 'spamc', then you must have the spamd daemon
> ->running.
> ->
> ->But if you pipe through 'spamassassin', then spamd is not used and you
> can ->safely stop it.
> ->The difference is that spamd is written in C and will be faster for a
> high ->volume mailserver than 'spamassassin' which is written in perl.
> ->
> ->derek
>
> Hi Derek! Well, I put spamd in /etc/rc.d/rc.local so that its running, then
> piped through spamc. Its back to its former speed now. I'm assuming this is
> okay, right?
>
> Thanks!

If you are using Charles Edwards' spamassassin RPMs then you do not need
anything in /etc/rc.d/rc.local just start the spamassassin service in
drakxservices.

I would not expect spamc/spamd to be that much faster than spamassassin, so
you had better check it is actually working by looking for the X-spam header
it puts in the mails.
If you check /var/log/mail/info  spamd logs how long each mail takes to
process.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net