On Monday 16 Feb 2004 4:11 am, Erylon Hines wrote:
> On Sunday 15 February 2004 06:21 pm, Chris wrote:
> > Being a newbie to spamassassin also, just set it up over the past week
> > using CPAN to upgrade to the newest version.  I've got actually two
> > filters setup for spamassassin, one being "size is less than 25000,
> > filter action is to "pipe through spamc", the other is "X-Spam-Flag
> > equals Yes, move to folder Spam"  Not sure if screenshots are allowed on
> > the list so if what I've said above isn't clear let me know and I'll send
> > you the screenshots.
> >
> > Chris
>
> And that is the way to do it.  Be sure to setup filter rules for your
> mailing lists in Kmail, and have them placed before the SpamAssassin rule
> so that SA won't check them. After that, you should be good to go, but
> again, I'll mention backhair.cf (copied into /etc/mail/spamassassin).
> Also, adding the following two rules into
> /home/your_user/.spamassassin/user_prefs is an extremely good move, I
> think, because it really does catch a lot of the "sneaky" spams that would
> otherwise get through.  As I mentioned in another post, I have my score set
> at 4.0, and I've only had one false positive since November.   That low of
> a score may be a bit radical for anyone else, but it works for me.  I'd
> also like to give a special thanks to Derek Jennings:
> http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&;
>artid=15 for his Bayes rules example, which is what I use in my own
> /user_prefs as well, plus I've added these two lines:
>
> score HTML_10_20        2.0
> score HTML_20_30        2.2
>
> I'm hoping all this is of help,
>
> e.

Thanks for the plug Erylon. That page is actually a bit out of date now, but
is still useful to understand how user_prefs work. You can find a more up to
date version of my user_prefs down the page in here
http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/mailserver_config.html  which also contains
details of how to configure Spamassassin to use DNS blacklists as supplied by
Bryan Phinney
When you add DNS blacklisting to Spamassassin **very** few spams get through,
although I must say in the last few days a lot more Spams are arriving
without being detected by any DNS blacklist. I am wondering if these could be
from computers recently infected with MyDoom?

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org