On Monday 16 Feb 2004 12:20 pm, lanman wrote:
> Hey Derek; I was just looking at your sire for the interesting info you
> had about the Atmel wireless setup. Do you have any info on PCMCIA gear
> and how to configure them?
>
> I'm looking at adding a wireless card to my Asus Delgatto laptop ( what
> the hell, it's got everything else, might as well go the last step! ),
> and since GVC carries Atmel powered wireless gear for next to nothing,
> I thought I'd give it a go.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Lanman

My experience with Atmel based wireless is entirely USB.
The atmelwlan driver does support PCMCIA, but my experience with the USB
flavour was not great (which is why I promote the alternative at76c503
driver) How well the PCMCIA flavour works I do not know.

I know Prism2 PCMCIA cards work in Mandrake so long as you remember to install
the prism2-utils utils package, but it is not entirely straightforward. IMO
the easiest PCMCIA cards I have used have the orinoco chipset. Anything
orinoco based will work "straight out of the box" and will even be configured
by the drakconnect GUI  (but use the latest version off the update mirrors)
Orinoco based products are Avaya, Lucent, Melco/Buffalo, and many others.

I also believe that anything Cisco based will work out of the box as well, but
I have no personal experience.

Whatever you buy check carefully exactly which chip set it uses. Many
manufacturers have a habit of changing chipsets without changing the product
name.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net