Perhaps the "afinity" some current and former Windows users have for
reinstalling is more legitimate than you seem to think.  My example:

A few months ago I built a brand new PC.  All band-name, brand new
components and I proceeded to do a clean install of Win98 (first edition
- build 1998).  Well, Win98 ran for 2 weeks.  Then one morning it gave
me an invalid page fault in explorer.exe while booting up.  After
running scandisk and finding no errors, I had to reinstall because I
repeatedly got the page fault even when attempting to boot into safe
mode.  So, I attempted to reinstall, and the setup process locked my
system up (something that didn't happen the first time). That was it --
I'm done with Windows and have installed Linux Mandrake 6.0 and have run
it flawlessly for 2 and a half months on the same hardware.

(1) It wasn't anything I did wrong -- one day the system ran fine and I
shut it down without problems; the next time I booted it, it choked.
(2) No application to be a problem.  I didn't install anything new, and
had nothing running at startup but the Windows components.
(3) Hardware problem?  Everything was less than 2 weeks old.  (And runs
Linux flawlessly)
(4) A problem with the OS?  I think so!

Goodday,
Jeremy Kersenbrock