On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:59:46 -0500
Marc Resnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Kernel HOWTO is 'being reviewed', so could someone kindly post a step by
> step on building and compiling a new kernel. I have the source, and i
> extracted it into /usr/src.
>
> I believe I start with make config?

Ok, here we go!

1. Make sure the kernel you downloaded is a 2.6 kernel :).

2. Make sure the patches you would like are all downloaded. I usually apply the mm
patches and the bootsplash patch. They aren't necessary but add nice
features. The mm patch is available at kernel.org (make sure kernel and
mm patch versions match) make sure you are in the kernel source
directory, and apply the mm patch like so:
bzcat /full/path/to/mmpatch.bz2 | patch -p1

3. download the bootsplash patch
(if you like eyecandy) from bootsplash.org. As long as you download the
version for the 2.6 kernel, it doesn't matter what the actual version
number is. Apply this patch in almost the same way: cat
/path/to/bootsplash.patch | patch -p1

4. In the source directory, type make xconfig.

5. Choose your options carefully
        In "Block Devices", check both RAM disk support and Initial RAM disk
(initrd) support. The Default RAM disk size is set to 32000 on my
computer.
        Under Graphics Support, check Bootup splash screen under Bootsplash
Configuration and UNCHECK Boot Logo under Logo Configuration.
        Besides those, I usually check almost everything in case there's
something I need that I don't realize.

6. Save your config, and exit

7. Type make all

8. As root, type
make modules_install

9. Then (still in source directory), type:
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-<kernel version>
10. Then type:
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-<kernel version>.img <kernel version>
(On my comp, i typed 'mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.1-mm1.img 2.6.1-mm1')

11. If you have the bootsplash-themes package installed, now is the time
to utilize them. Go into /etc/bootsplash/themes/ and look at the config
files. There should be paths to images. Look at those images and decide
which theme in general you like best. When your ready, type:
cat /etc/bootsplash/themes/<your theme>/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg >>
/boot/initrd-<kernel version>.img

12. Edit /etc/lilo.conf to include your new kernel:
image=/boot/bzImage-<kernel version>
        label="linux-2.6" #or whatever you want to call it
        root=/dev/hda5 #check other entries and make the same. should be partition
that / is located on
        initrd=/boot/initrd-<kernel version>.img        append="devfs=nomount
splash=silent noapic acpi=off"
emulation       read-only       vga=791

13. on the append line above, splash can either be silent or verbose.
Other than that, they can be the same as your other entries, but don't
have any hd?=ide-scsi   it's no longer necessary

14. Save the file, and run 'lilo' as root

15. Reboot and hope it works correctly

Sorry if this was long and winded. If anything is confusing, let me know
and I'll try to help.

John

--
Wed Feb 18 21:45:27 CST 2004