On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:06:38 -0500
Marc Resnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 19 February 2004 12:06 am, John Drouhard wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:56:03 -0500
> >
> > Marc Resnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Nevermind, just had to install the gcc C++ compiler. But I got several
> > > 'trying to assign nonexistant symbol' errors. Is this fatal?
> >
> > Nah, it just means it that some of the options available for checking
> > don't exist, but something was trying to set them. It's perfectly ok and
> > normal to have those errors. Did you use the mm patch? if so, you might
> > want to rename your source directory to compensate, ie: linux-2.6.3-mm1
> > This may save a headache later. That's just a suggestion though.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > John
>
> I'm not sure if you saw my other e-mail, so I'll send it again:
>
> My screen goes completely blank when I try to boot the new kernel. All the
> paths are correct(fixed them after I got a kernel panic error at first), and
> I've tried noapic, acpi=off, acpi=on, acpi=ht, devfs=mount devfs=nomount. I
> just can't seem to get it to boot. Also, I don't think the bootsplash for
> kernel version 2.6.3, because I noticed I got an error when patching, and the
> option to enable it wasn't there when I ran make xconfig. I doubt that's the
> problem though.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Actually it does sound like the problem. I know this sounds like a lot
of work, but you might want to follow my steps again and not patch the
kernel with bootsplash. Or just change your lilo.conf. I suggest the
first you try is changing the lilo.conf file (remember to run lilo
afterwards).

append="devfs=nomount noapic acpi=off hdb=ide-cdrom hdd=ide-cdrom"

I figured out how to make burning without scsi'em work. Make the hdb and
hdd reflect your cdrom devices. When it's time to burn, you run (replace
hdd with your burner):

cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd <iso image>

Otherwise, if that doesn't work, save your .config from the source
directory, then delete it. Untar the sources again, patch it again with
the mm patch, and copy your .config back into the source directory. The
follow the steps in my earlier email. Make sure the append line is
similar to the one above.

HTH,
John

--