On Wednesday 18 February 2004 11:09 pm, John Drouhard wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:59:46 -0500
>
> Marc Resnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The Kernel HOWTO is 'being reviewed', so could someone kindly post a step
> > by step on building and compiling a new kernel. I have the source, and i
> > extracted it into /usr/src.
> >
> > I believe I start with make config?
>
> Ok, here we go!
>
> 1. Make sure the kernel you downloaded is a 2.6 kernel :).
>
> 2. Make sure the patches you would like are all downloaded. I usually apply
> the mm patches and the bootsplash patch. They aren't necessary but add nice
> features. The mm patch is available at kernel.org (make sure kernel and mm
> patch versions match) make sure you are in the kernel source
> directory, and apply the mm patch like so:
> bzcat /full/path/to/mmpatch.bz2 | patch -p1
>
> 3. download the bootsplash patch
> (if you like eyecandy) from bootsplash.org. As long as you download the
> version for the 2.6 kernel, it doesn't matter what the actual version
> number is. Apply this patch in almost the same way: cat
> /path/to/bootsplash.patch | patch -p1
>
> 4. In the source directory, type make xconfig.
>
> 5. Choose your options carefully
>       In "Block Devices", check both RAM disk support and Initial RAM disk
> (initrd) support. The Default RAM disk size is set to 32000 on my
> computer.
>       Under Graphics Support, check Bootup splash screen under Bootsplash
> Configuration and UNCHECK Boot Logo under Logo Configuration.
>       Besides those, I usually check almost everything in case there's
> something I need that I don't realize.
>
> 6. Save your config, and exit
>
> 7. Type make all
>
> 8. As root, type
> make modules_install
>
> 9. Then (still in source directory), type:
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-<kernel version>
> 10. Then type:
> mkinitrd /boot/initrd-<kernel version>.img <kernel version>
> (On my comp, i typed 'mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.1-mm1.img 2.6.1-mm1')
>
> 11. If you have the bootsplash-themes package installed, now is the time
> to utilize them. Go into /etc/bootsplash/themes/ and look at the config
> files. There should be paths to images. Look at those images and decide
> which theme in general you like best. When your ready, type:
> cat /etc/bootsplash/themes/<your theme>/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg >>
> /boot/initrd-<kernel version>.img
>
> 12. Edit /etc/lilo.conf to include your new kernel:
> image=/boot/bzImage-<kernel version>
>       label="linux-2.6" #or whatever you want to call it
>       root=/dev/hda5 #check other entries and make the same. should be partition
> that / is located on initrd=/boot/initrd-<kernel
> version>.img  append="devfs=nomount splash=silent noapic acpi=off"
> emulation     read-only       vga=791
>
> 13. on the append line above, splash can either be silent or verbose.
> Other than that, they can be the same as your other entries, but don't
> have any hd?=ide-scsi   it's no longer necessary

> [...]

I get this error message when trying to run make xconfig:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] linux-2.6.3]# make xconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/fixdep
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
sed < scripts/kconfig/lkc_proto.h > scripts/kconfig/lkc_defs.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/kconfig_load.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/mconf.o
/usr/lib/qt3//bin/moc -i scripts/kconfig/qconf.h -o scripts/kconfig/qconf.moc
  HOSTCXX scripts/kconfig/qconf.o
/bin/sh: line 1: g++: command not found
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/qconf.o] Error 127
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2