Lanman wrote:

On February 19, 2004 09:03 pm, Brandon Rife wrote:

Hello,

I must have done something to break my sound card. It worked a couple of
days ago but now when KDE is initilaizing I get the following error
message.

Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

I get a similar error when loading Gnome.  I'm running MDK 9.2.  Thanks for
any help you can offer!

Brandon

Brandon; Please do everything in your power to disable HTML encoding in your emails, as this is the prime way that many viruses are transmitted around the Internet.

Many people on this list will simply not respond to your problems due to this fact alone. Sometime in the next week, you will receive an email regarding the protocols on this list.

Please do your best to study and adopt those protocols to ensure a pleasrable experience for all.

In the meantime, try using the MCC hardware panel to re-detect your sound card and asign a proper driver module to it.

It would also be a big help if you could include additional info regarding which version of Linux and the brand and model of sound card.

Thanks

The sound driver info is below. I've tried both the maestro and snd-es1968 drivers with no luck. I do know that the maestro module was working. Should it matter, this problem is occurring on a Micron Transport ZX laptop.

Vendor: ?ESS Technology
Alternative drivers: ?snd-es1968
Bus: ?PCI
Bus identification: ?125d:1978:144d:3240
Location on the bus: ?0:c:0
Module: ?maestro
Media class: ?MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO