On Saturday 28 February 2004 06:25 pm, Marc Resnick wrote:
: On Saturday 28 February 2004 09:15 pm, J Adam Latham wrote:
: > Hi, All ...
: >
: > Today I had to reinstall my user directory, which I had backed up on a
: > disc. But when I unpacked the contents of that backup (which included my
: > Mail dir) I was disappointed to discover that my KMail settings
: > (identities, networks, filters etc) were not backed up ... Also, any sub
: > directories (& their msgs) in my local folders were gone ... (Which
: > means, say, the folder Work was still there but not, say, Work -> Bob,
: > Work -
: >
: > >Susie, or whatever ... )
: >
: > I had assumed (naively) that this info was stored either in my Mail dir
: > or in some hidden file in my home dir ... Obviously not.
: >
: > Can someone please let me know where this info is saved, and how I can
: > include it in backups so that I don't have to recreate all my settings
: > again?
: >
: > Any/all help is appreciated ...
: >
: > Best,
: > Adam
:
: I'm guessing that you just went into Konqueror or some program like that
: and copied and pasted all of the files and directories? I've tried that,
: bad idea =P. There are hidden directories and files that begin with a '.'.
: I'm sure you've noticed them. So if you want to back stuff up with a GUI,
: just make sure to go into properties and check the option to show hidden
: files and folders. It's under 'View'. I believe the Kmail settings are in
: .Mail, but I'm not positive so just copy them all next time.
:
: --Marc

Thanks for the reply, but I believe I did grab all the hidden files, too ...
To backup my user dir I always just enter it and execute

tar cvf home.tar *

which does grab the hidden files ...

Any other thoughts?  :^)

Thanks again,