On Sunday 29 February 2004 08:08 am, Derek Jennings wrote:
: On Sunday 29 Feb 2004 02:15, J Adam Latham wrote:
: > Hi, All ...
: >
: > Today I had to reinstall my user directory, which I had backed up on a
: > disc. But when I unpacked the contents of that backup (which included my
: > Mail dir) I was disappointed to discover that my KMail settings
: > (identities, networks, filters etc) were not backed up ... Also, any sub
: > directories (& their msgs) in my local folders were gone ... (Which
: > means, say, the folder Work was still there but not, say, Work -> Bob,
: > Work -
: >
: > >Susie, or whatever ... )
: >
: > I had assumed (naively) that this info was stored either in my Mail dir
: > or in some hidden file in my home dir ... Obviously not.
: >
: > Can someone please let me know where this info is saved, and how I can
: > include it in backups so that I don't have to recreate all my settings
: > again?
: >
: > Any/all help is appreciated ...
: >
: > Best,
: > Adam
:
: Your mail settings are stores in ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
: It looks like you did not include hidden files in your backup.
:
: A convenient way to do a backup to CD or ftp/ssh is drakbackup
: It is in the drakxtools RPM  (get the latest version of the updates mirror)
:
: derek

Thanks, derek ... I had thought that by doing a backup by entering my home dir
and executing

tar cvf home.tar *

it would've grabbed hidden files too ... Guess not!

Thanks for the heads up on where these settings are stored ...

Best,
Adam