On Sunday 29 Feb 2004 19:55, Weiers Coetser wrote:
> Hi...
>
> This is my third request for assitance and I've appreciated the input that
> I've received every time.
>
> I don't know if the following scenario is a posible one:
>
> Lets say I've divided my work into four categories. I would like to use one
> of the four KDE desktops for each of these four categories.
>
> At the moment I find that when I place a folder on my desktop it shows up
> on all four the desktops. This gives my desktop a very cluttered feel and I
> don't really see the purpose of having four desktops in this case.
>
> The same is true when I open several programmes. If I opened Open Office
> Writer on Desktop one, I can still see the bar for that document at the
> bottom, even if I am on Desktop two. If I have six or seven documents open
> at the same time, I find it difficult to navigate my way between the
> documents.
>
> Is it possible to change a setting that each of the four desktops function
> almost independently. Eg. I can put all my MP3 files on Desktop 1 and run
> the MP3 Player from there. Then I place all my written documents on desktop
> two, and all my spreadsheets on desktop three.
>
> I hope my question makes sense. If it does not, can somebody please explain
> again why there are four desktops in KDE.
>
> Greetings
> Weiers
If you rightclick in the bar at the top of  a window and select "To Desktop"
you can select if that window is shown on all desktops, or send it to a
specific desktop.
When you have a window just as you want it right click in the bar and select
"Advanced>StoreWindow Settings", then it will always appear just like that and
on that specific desktop.

HTH

derek

(BTW: I am using KDE 3.2 on Mdk10.0 your KDE 3.1 might be slightly
different. )

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org