On Sunday 29 February 2004 11:33 pm, Christophe Hannecart wrote:
> Someone in a newsgroup suggested that iptables was the culprit. I
> uninstalled it and voila ... it works.

If removing iptables solved the problem, then I would submit the problem was
shorewall.  You didn't turn on the firewall in Mandrake Control Center by any
chance, did you?  The thing is, iptables doesn't block traffic unless
something tells it to by setting up rules, so it could not be iptables by
itself.

If you want a firewall on that machine, you just removed it by taking iptables
off, so we should deal with your shorewall config instead of removing the
ability to keep your machine from getting hacked.
--
/g