On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:38:32 +1300
anton disseminated the following:

> I am about to block IE users from my website (using php) and wanted to
> get the maximum bang for buck. Please have a look at the following
> messages and give me your opinion on what is likely to have the most
> positive (deliberately leaving that for interpretation as you will) effect!

I think you are on the right track, but then I'm somewhat of a 'zealot' I guess.

When I asked on this list about the same subject there was a similar debate, and
that's the approach I ended up taking, out of all the suggestions that were
offered. Explaining to visitors that Internet Exploder is a security nightmare,
and that there are alternatives like Mozilla and such, is definitely, I think,
the way to go. I made a point on my ie_reject page of explaining that I was not
snubbing IE *users*, more trying to make a point (political, philosophical,
whatever) that visitors might want to inform themselves about various issues
related to IE, MS, etc. I can send you some of the links to info I used if you
wish.

I think it was Ghandi (not to equate my pitiful website with the achievements of
the Mahatma) who said that what you must do is probably insignificant,
nevertheless you must do it. Every little bit helps, like BP's enforcement of
RBL's, etc. The more people make an effort, no matter how small, to get the
truth out there, to make a stand for standards, security, and openness, the
better. Every time I see ie_reject come up in my access_log, I think: 'there's
one more person who just*might* start down the road I did a few years ago', and
I get a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside:-D

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046