On Wednesday 03 March 2004 15:47, Richard Urwin wrote:

Hmm! I got it know!

> Zombie processes are processes that have exited, but whose parent
> process hasn't got around to cleaning up. Therefore it is more likely
> that the parent process has crashed. To find the parent process use the
> command:
>       ps axgl

Just like my in-laws and my nephews and nices! ;-)

Their parents let them do EVERYTHING and LATER do not take the necessary
procedures!

Thanks GOD I don't have to kill my nephews and nices to 'restore' the
'system'! ;-)))

[]s Ricardo Castanho

> The PPID is the PID of the parent. The PID is the PID of the process.
> Search the list for the zombies (status Z), note their PPID, then
> search the list for the process with that PID.
>
> When a process dies any child processes it still has are adopted by the
> init process (PID 1). Init spends all it's time waiting for child
> processes, so zombies will be quickly tidied up.
>
> If the parent has hung you probably want to terminate it with extreme
> prejudice, so kill -KILL the parent process and the zombies will go
> away. That's (as root):
>       kill -KILL [PID of parent]

Linux user # 102240 => [EMAIL PROTECTED] user => 100% M$ FREE