On Thursday 04 Mar 2004 06:08, Ketan Mukadam wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed Mandrake 8.0 on my newly bought system. I also
> have Win2K installed on a partition.
>
> Everything was working fine, until few days ago when i tried to boot
> into Linux, it gave me a kernel panic saying "unable to mount root fs".I
> was surprised, since i havent changed any partition or done anything
> with the installation.So i again reinstalled Mandrake 8.0,it got
> installed properly...but yesterday when i saw the login window i saw
> almost 20 icons [penguins] corresponding to different users [i made only
> one user]....and all these users seem to be the various services in
> linux.....also there used to be a button from which i could shutdown the
> machine....but now its not there...i can only logout.....[i can do a
> shutdown from command prompt]....Just wanted to know why the behaviour
> is changing every few days without my meddling anything in the system....
>
> Thanks in advance for any help
>
> Regards
> Ketan.

Hmm This question does not seem to have much in common with the previous
thread. Can I point your attention Ketan to the list etiquette
http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/MandrakeMailingListEtiquette
In particular item 3.

Now your question.
Mandrake 8.0 is **very** old  It does not support the latest journalling file
systems. It only supports ext2 file systems which are vulnerable to
corruption if you power down your system un cleanly.
So if you have been pressing the reset button or just switching off, then you
could have a corruption.
It may be Mandrake 8.0 supports the Reiserfs  file system which is a lot more
robust (I cannot remember)

I would recommend getting hold of a later version of Mandrake. We are just
about to go to version 10.0 which is a whole lot better than 8.0, and
supports journalled file systems such as ext3 reiserfs and xfs.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org