Hi All,

I have just installed Mandrake 8.0 on my newly bought system. I also have Win2K installed on a partition.

Everything was working fine, until few days ago when i tried to boot into Linux, it gave me a kernel panic saying "unable to mount root fs".I was surprised, since i havent changed any partition or done anything with the installation.So i again reinstalled Mandrake 8.0,it got installed properly...but yesterday when i saw the login window i saw almost 20 icons [penguins] corresponding to different users [i made only one user]....and all these users seem to be the various services in linux.....also there used to be a button from which i could shutdown the machine....but now its not there...i can only logout.....[i can do a shutdown from command prompt]....Just wanted to know why the behaviour is changing every few days without my meddling anything in the system....

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards
Ketan.