Greg Meyer said:
On Thursday 04 March 2004 02:05 pm, Mark Kirschner wrote:
> Hi all.  I've an opportunity to pick up a laptop with a wireless network
> adapter (Cisco Aironet 350 PCMCIA card).
>
> I have been unsuccessful with getting this same card to work under
> Mandrake 9.1, and the only help I've come across said to "downgrade" the
> card firmware.  Does anyone know if 9.2 supports this card, or if 10.0 will
> when released?
>
> I'll admit, I've not yet delved into the prospect of researching hardware
> requirements (between health issues, classwork and a job search, I've had
> little time lately for research on the issue).

10.0 supports this card as the airo_mpi driver maintained by Fabrice Bellet
has been merged into the 2.6.3 kernel.  9.2 does not support it out of the
box, but airo_mpi installs easily and works great.

It is required that the card firmware remain at an older version.  I have not
found this to be a problem at all, since I rarely use Windows.  I just make
sure I am using the Windows driver that matches the firmware.  I think it is
5.00.03 of something close.

More info here http://bellet.info/~bellet/laptop/
--
/g

Thanks, Greg. I'll keep this information handy for when I get the computer.

Windows compatibility is, unfortunately, a concern as this will be the sole
computer in the house, and my wife is still firmly attached to Windows XP
(attempts to win her to the Linux side failed miserably due to poor planning
on my part).

To make sure I'm reading you correctly, Greg; 10.0 will support the card
natively with no firmware change?  But to use airo_mpi and 9.2, I need
to step the firmware back?

Fortunately, the laptop's got an on-board NIC, so I can connect to our
cable modem with a long Cat5, just have to sacrifice mobility for a
bit.

Thanks again for your response.

Mark