On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 19:26:00 -0500
rhein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
> That's now the second time that my notebook shuts down
> because I'm not able to see the level of my battery. Good
> thing I didn't have to start all over because I saved my
> work a few minutes before. Is there a way to have the
> battery indicator under MDK 9.2? (by the way I think the
> battery goes faster then with XP...??) Also when I'm
> working the fan is running more often then with XP. Is
> there something to modify? Thanks
> Christophe
> ps: I have a Compaq nx9005

Christophe,

I'm only running 9.1, so I'm not sure how relevant it is to
your situation.  I have the battery indicator on mine.  I'm
running KDE and found you can set it this way:

Click the K menu
Click Configuration
Click KDE
Click PowerControl
Click Laptop Battery

You should see a check box for "Show Battery Monitor."  Make
sure it's set.

You may want to look for something similar.

As for life in XP vs, Linux, I don't see much battery life
difference between the two on my laptop.  Perhaps it has
somehting to do with power settings in each?  XP may have a
more conservative power use profile.

Just some thoughts

Mark