David B. Carter said:
> I'm getting really frustrated with this sound problem! This morning I dug
> up an old SoundBlaser AWE32 card I had packed away, and I installed it in
> the machine I've been having trouble with. I disabled the onboard sound in
> the BIOS, I removed all references to sound drivers from
> /etc/modules.conf, and I restarted the machine.
>
> After this fresh start, I decided to see if I had any better luck with
> this sound card. Well, alsaconf wouldn't detect the card, so I moved on
> the sndconfig. It found the card and played that test audio file
> successfully, but, when I tried to play a WAV file in XMMS using the OSS
> plugin, I got no sound!
>
> AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Well, I'm about to give up on this! I have gone back to the onboard
soound. I cannot get anything but CD audio with ALSA no matter what I try.
With OSS using sndconfig, I can get CD audio plus audio from some of the
games. I still can't play a WAV file in XMMS. But I guess that's the best
I can hope for right now.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd still love to hear them, but I don't think
I'm going to actively pursue this issue anymore (for now).

Thanks.