On Friday 05 Mar 2004 16:26, David B. Carter wrote:
> David B. Carter said:
> > OK. I installed alsa-utils (and it dependency - pciutils) from the FTP
> > address you gave above. It installed fine. When I ran alsaconf, it said
> > that no PnP sound cards were detected and asked me if I wanted it to
> > probe for ISA cards. I said "OK" and picked the CS4236 drivers so it
> > would not probe for everything on the planet. Then it asked me if I
> > wanted it to test all DMA and IRQ combinations. I said "OK" and it
> > started to probe. It immediately locked up the mouse, and the Caps Lock
> > and Scroll Lock lights on the keyboard started blinking, and it hasn't
> > shown any signs of responsding for about 20 minutes now.
> >
> > OK, I went back and rebooted the system and repeated the same procedure
> > but told it not to try all possible DMA/IRQ combinations. Same result. :(
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> At the urging of someone else who's not on this list, I tried a
>
> modprobe snd-cs-4236
>
> I'm not even 100% sure what that does, but, after unmuting several of the
> main channels (master, pcm, cd, etc.) in alsamixer, I now get CD audio!!
> Still no audio from digital audio files in XMMS (even after switching to
> the ALSA output plugin).
>
> Any ideas how to proceed? Thanks.

The modprobe snd-cs-4236 loads the driver. But it will not load on the next
boot unless you configure /etc/modules.conf. That is what alsaconf is
supposed to do for you, but for some reason alsaconf is unable to detect your
soundchip.

If you go to
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Cirrus+Logic&card=CS4236&chip=CS4236&module=cs4236#modp

You will see an example modules.conf configuration for your driver.
You could try copying this into your /etc/modules.conf

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org