Quoting Erylon Hines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Doing a "query modem" in KPPP gives me modem modem ready then gives me a list
of
> > ATI ATI 1 through 7. But, unlike this machine, all the fields following
> > those listings are blank.
> >
> May be a Winmodem.  http://start.at/modem     and see if you can find your
> modem and chipset.
>
> follow the link from http://www.linmodems.org to the "scanModem tool", which
>
> you can download and install to see if you might have a supported chipset.
>
> If it finds the chip, it will tell you which driver you need.

Definitely a winmodem, and mdk has mistakenly identified it. My agere's modem
behaves just like yours when I used the wrong driver (although resources that
I found on google insisted that it was the right driver.. strange).

You'd better check on linmodems.org and download the scanmodem program to see
the exact specification of your modem, and then you can ask the mailing list.
They have a great discussion about winmodem, I found my agere driver from it.
Fajar.