Ernest> The version number is a way of identifying the distribution.

As soon as I wrote/posted my6 inquire, I realized this. ;-)
Sometimes it helps to write out my query for me to
"reason" it out.

> If your kernel version is 2.2.13-7mdk

2.2.9-19mdk

> and there is a name (Helios) on the log in screen for the text mode,

Hmm... I'll look to see what it does have there the next time I boot
to Linux.

> Interesting that you didn't have any problems doing the upgrade that way.
> I've seen several posts indicating that this may lead to problems.

Upgrade? I beileve what I did merely qualifies as an "update". ;-)
And when it comes to me accomplishing the "outside the norm,"
that is of no surprise to anyone who knows me. ;-)