On Sunday 14 March 2004 09:49 am, Steve Kaufman wrote:
> Here's a real newbie question but maybe a good answer????
>
> Why not backup your lilo.conf to a diskette and then merge it with the one
> 10.0 will build. Actually after you boot to 10.0 can't you just mount the
> old partisions and get access to the old lilo.conf?
>
> Can't you just let 10.0 build LILO to the MBR? When I build 9.2 it found
> all my bootable devices so I would think that during the the 10.0 install
> that the process would find window/9.2/10.0 and build the boot record
> accordingly and even if it didn't you could then just take the conf file
> you backed up and merge it with the one 10.0 built.
>
> This is totally a guess on my part being a very newbie and not having
> loaded 10.0 but it seems logical....  I know I shouldn't trust logic but
> what the he**.
>
> Had I been installing 10.0 this is the choice I would have used.

Yes there are ways to use this, in fact it is much easier using GrUB than with
LILO, but as this is a newbie list, I chose to instruct in getting a 10.0
installation triple booted with a minimum amount of fuss and
learning/research.  These other methods require a little more planning and
advanced knowledge about how the kernel boots.

The instructions to use one instance of LILO or GrUB exist all over the place,
and any enterprising user could find what they need if they know what they
are doing.  So, in the interest of getting the OP going ASAP, this does the
job.  If he later wants to go do the required learning to simplify the setup,
he can do that when he is ready.

The other nice thing about the method I noted is that you can then install any
OS on that spare partition and never have to update the main lilo.conf again.
Always chainloading the boot will let whatever OS you install on that spare
partition boot without additional work.  This is the method I use on my spare
partition that I use for running cooker or experimenting with other distros.
I can forever do clean installs and just install the bootloader to the root
partition, making the first reboot easy.  If you consolidate the bootloaders,
every time you install something new, you have to go back and boot the
controlling OS and edit the bootloader config.
--
/g