On Monday 15 March 2004 08:03 pm, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Monday 15 March 2004 03:59 pm, Mike Adolf wrote:
> > I am now runing kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk in mdk 9.1 and would like to
> > upgrade to 2.4.21.0.28mdk. Rpmdrake list 5 flavors of the 0.28. under
> > update.
> >
> > Standard, enterprise, secure,  smp, and source. Since the machine is
> > non-net wrokstation, I guess I would use
> >
> > kernel-2.4.21.0.28mdk rpm
> >
> > What exactly happens if I install this rpm?
> > Does it preserve my configuration defined during 9.1 install?
>
> It will change the symlinking in /biit so that the entries the installer
> set up will boot to the new kernel.  The lilo entries point to the symlinks
> in /boot, so if you change th esymlinks, the entries boot whatever the
> symlinks point to.
>
> > Does lilo get updated in such a way to allow booting to old kernel?
>
> Not on the first update.  Every kernel update adds an explicit choice for
> itself in the bootloader menu.  This allows you to boot into a previously
> installed kernel if the new one does not work as advertised.  The only
> problem with this is that the first kernel install does not install itself
> with an explicit entry, only the symlink ones, so if you want to be able to
> boot the original kernel, you have to add an entry for it to lilo.conf
> manually.
>
> > Or should I attemp a configure and build from the source rpm according to
> > a HOWTO?
>
> Not necessary unless you would like to experience the thrill of building
> your own kernel, in which case you will want to install the kernel-source
> package and then follow the various instructions.  The kernel SRPM will
> only build the kernels exactly as you see them on the mirrors.

I think I leave the source build for later.  These are the steps I'll follow.
If something is screwed up, let me know.

1. Make sure my boot floppy works
2. Add the following to /etc/lilo.conf
        image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk
        label="linux-old"
        root=/dev/hdb1
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img
        append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"
        vga=788
        read-only
?? do I also have to run lilo to get the config to take ??
3. Install kernel-2.4.21.0.28mdk rpm
4. reboot and...
------
Addendum to reply
------
I forgot to ask in the previous reply about the following 0.13 specific
symlinks in /boot

config, kernel.h and System.map

I did not see them referenced in lilo.conf.

mike