On March 16, 2004 07:50 am, Greg Meyer wrote:
<whack>
> > I think I leave the source build for later.  These are the steps I'll
> > follow.   If something is screwed up, let me know.
> >
> > 1. Make sure my boot floppy works
> > 2. Add the following to /etc/lilo.conf
> >         image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk
> >         label="linux-old"
> >         root=/dev/hdb1
> >         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img
> >         append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"
> >         vga=788
> >         read-only
> > ?? do I also have to run lilo to get the config to take ??
> > 3. Install kernel-2.4.21.0.28mdk rpm
> > 4. reboot and...

> Don't forget to rerun lilo to update the boot time choices, but this should
> work.  You might want to reboot using the item you added to lilo.conf to
> make sure it works before you do the new kernel install.
>
> > ------
> > Addendum to reply
> > ------
> > I forgot to ask in the previous reply about the following 0.13 specific
> > symlinks in /boot
> >
> > config, kernel.h and System.map
> >
> > I did not see them referenced in lilo.conf.
>
> They will be updated when you boot into the new kernel.

Am I missing something here? Installing a new kernel will add not replace. One
never upgrades a kernel.

Since Mike specified a "non-networked workstation" he has to copy the rpm for
the new kernel from somewhere. Wherever that somewhere is, the easiest way to
install a new kernel on any Mandrake release since forever has been urpmi,
but that requires sources for software be set up. Second easiest, after
transferring the package to the target machine, is to open a terminal in the
directory holding the new package and as super user type:

rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.21.0.28mdk.rpm [Enter]

Then in the same terminal, after the previous operation completes:

lilo -v [Enter]

You could combine the two;

rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.21.0.28mdk.rpm && lilo -v [Enter]

I don't like telling people that are uncertain of _anything_ to manually edit
configuration files. The results will be the same, just a lot less chance of
an oopsie happenning.

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
You're working under a slight handicap.  You happen to be human.