On March 16, 2004 01:54 am, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'd like some comments here:
> I'm a silver Mdk club member so I downloaded CD4-5 using bittorrent but I
> prefer using rsync on a mirror on my previous (rc1) iso's.

Do that, then start the Club torrent. Stop the torrent after it sets the
directory and file structure for the ISOs. Move the synced disks to that
directory overwriting the empty ISOs that are there, then restart the
torrent. It will check the disks, download any not present while uploading
the ones already there.

BTW the average "wrote" difference that I've seen using rsync this way has
been about 350 KB. Not many bites compared to a full download, is it?

> I have this gut feeling that there will be no mention of CD4 and 5 on CD1
> on the download CD's meaning I'd have to add them later as a source.

You're probably right but since I cheat try what I posted above. It should
work, I almost always copy ISOs to a torrent directory and start it uploading
since I have a complete mirror locally, including the download ISOs.

> Better still would be to get the right HD lists from the powerpack CD's and
> put those in the .iso.

Since that is probably almost the extent of the differences between the two
you still save time and bandwidth, plus learn something HarM.

Which is the whole point anyway, isn't it? <g>

> Until now I can only find those CD's as .torrents on club but I don't want
> to download the whole shebang again.

See above.

> So here's the questions:
>
> 1)Are there other sources (yet) for those hdlists then those .torrent
> files? 2)Does the powerpack CD1 indeed have the hdlists for 4 and 5?
> 3)Do the hdlists for 1-3 differ (i.e. the RPMS available) between the
> powerpack and download edition?

Since it's still based on the "Community Edition" release at present things
will change again when Final is released in about 8 weeks HarM. Once you have
the ISOs you'll probably be able to do it all over again.

> 4)Or is there a way to get bittorrent to only get the /base directory from
> CD1?

Browse to a server with a cooker mirror. The hdlists and all the rest of the
contents of the /base directory are there. Won't help though, you're looking
for disks 4 and 5, they ain't there. I just looked at my local mirror. The
Power Pack CompssUser file is there though.

> Thanks a lot,
> HarM

Bit Torrent seems to download one disk at a time by default anyway HarM. If my
suspicion is correct and it uses a form of rsync for it's "checking" phase
you should still save bandwidth by using the suggestions I posted above. I'd
have to know a lot more about BT before I could say with confidence, but it
seems likely from observations of torrents for the last 5 or 6 releases
through Cooker.

Let me know whether I've steered you wrong?

Warm regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
senility, n.:
        The state of mind of elderly persons with whom one happens to disagree.