Marc Resnick wrote:

rhein wrote:

> Fajar Priyanto wrote:

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 07:58 am, Marc Resnick wrote:

>>> Okay, so I'm suddenly having a few problems with ACPI on my Compaq
>>> Presario 2190US notebook. It's worked fine before, except for the second
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> 1. My KDE battery meter is gone. I looked for the config GUI in the KDE
>>> settings, but it's not there. I then tried kacpi, thinking it was the
>>> same thing, but it was completely different, and didn't show in the
>>> system tray. How do I get this back? It worked fine up until yesterday
>>> when it suddenly disappeared.
>>>
>>> 2. I have no control over the fan. It's always running, and is quite
>>> loud. I looked in /proc/acpi/fan, but there are no files. Is there
>>> anything I can do about this? In Windows, the fan will stop usually. In
>>> Linux, it just keeps going.
>>>

>>> TIA,
>>> Marc

Hi Marc,
So you're using ACPI on your notebook? I tried that too, but, then the battery indicator's gone from systray. Previously I used apmd, so I tried to run it, but it seemed that when we chose ACPI, linux erased apmd. I don't know why. Also, what is the different between ACPI and apmd? I use apmd now.
About the fan, in my Acer TM802LCi, it doesn't always run, but more often that if I'm in windows.
Fajar.
-- 11:40:35 up 1:52, Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586

> Hello,
> with your help I have my battery running on my compaq nx9005, my fan is controled and when i log out the notebook shuts down alone.
> I checked my MCC and ACPI and ACPID are running but APMD is stopped.
> If I remember the differences are depending on the type of computer (newer models use ACPI).
> My guess is all is connected because my fan was running all the time before setting up the ACPI and getting the battery indicator...
> Bye
> Christophe

This is a bit odd...
When I woke up this morning (I leave the notebook on all the time), the fan was running like crazy, and it was incredibly hot. I shut it down, and when I got home from school(yes, I go to school), I powered it on again. The fan wasn't running. Now of course it is, but the notebook isn't burning like it was before. I still of course have the problem of my ACPI monitor not showing. It's not in the KDE menus either. Anyone?

--Marc

Hello,
Did you check if it is starting on boot?
I'm going to school now ;-)
Bye
Christophe