On Sunday 21 March 2004 21:43, JRH wrote:
> just managed to finally get 10 Community up and running, and I
> have a question:
>
> On 9.2, the login screen gave me the opportunity to manually
> enter my username. 10 does not appear to give me that option. I
> used to be able to log into KDE as root, and do things that way,
> to save time using command line stuff.
>
> I cant do that now. Is there a way to change the login screen at
> all, so that I can do this?. I had it once with 9.2, but I cant
> for the life of me remember how to do it!
>
> I'm getting a bit frustrated now, I need to change permissions on
> various things, and I dont know how to do it in shell.... so I
> need a GUI!
>
> JRH

Maybe like this : K menu (star) --> System --> Configuration -->
Configure your Computer. Then root password. System --> Display
Manager. Here somewhere you can choose to show root on the startup
screen as well as other users. But it IS a very bad idea, IMHO.

Much safer to learn the CLI way, the command "chmod" isn't that
hairy.

HTH

Kaj Haulrich.
--
* Sent from a 100 % Microsoft-free computer*
* running Linux kernel 2.6.3 on Mandrake 10.0 *