On Tuesday 23 March 2004 00:33, Chuck Mattsen wrote:

> Okay, I've obviously still have a lot of learning to do before I
> understand this process, as I'm at a loss at this point.  Perhaps
> it's more difficult and/or undoable because I'm dealing with
> existing WinXP/NTFS and Linux/Ext3 partitions, and a block of free
> space smack dab in the middle, and it would be a simpler process if
> installing Linux from scratch at this point?

I would think so.

> In short, my previous setup (prior to resizing the XP partition
> downward in size was, roughly, a 40GB drive split thusly:
>      25GB NTFS/XP partition, followed by a
>      15GB logical partition, consisting of /, swap and /home
>
> I resized the XP partition down to 15GB, freeing up an
> approximately 10GB block of drive, so I now have it sitting between
> hda1 and hda5 ...
>
> Partition Manager (which I'm still learning and getting used to)
> seems to only want to offer the option to create another primary
> drive out of that free space -or- give me the option of extending
> the logical drive containing hda5, swap and hda7.

- From the PM point of view, create your fat32 partition for data
immediately after the ntfs partition - you could do this from XP
instead, I think.  For the rest of the drive just ignore it in PM.

> Again, I'm confused and admittedly still pretty ignorant about this
> whole process.  Have I blundered already in my shrinking of the
> NTFS position and leaving the block of "free" space in the midst
> there, or am I just missing some important concept here?  (A
> somewhat rhetorical question, as I know I'm missing a lot in terms
> of knowledge of the process).

The best way, I think, once you have that fat32 partition created, is
to start a new install.  When you get to the partitioning tool I
think you have to select 'expert' or 'advanced' or some such, to get
full choice of what to do.

Then you simply remove the linux partitions that have already been
created (you don't normally need to do this, it's just so that you
can make better use of the space you have).  Then you create
partitions within the free space.  How big they are depends on what
you want to store.  This is the output from df for my partitions:

/dev/hdf1             5.3G  2.5G  2.6G  49% /
/dev/hde5             5.9G  5.0G  909M  85% /Data
/dev/hde6             5.7G  1.2G  4.6G  21% /Graphics
/dev/hde8            1012M  9.8M  951M   2% /boot
/dev/hde9             9.7G  4.5G  5.3G  46% /home

/boot is an advantage if you intend having multiple versions of
Mandrake, but it doesn't need to be as big as I have it.  You don't
actually need it at all, it's really a convenience.  You can see that
for me /home needs to be around twice as big as root, but then I run
win4lin, which means that a whole windows installation is in there,
as well as some windows apps that I can't do without.  Based on that,
you should be able to make sensible choices.  HTH

Anne
- --
Registered Linux User No.293302