On Sunday 28 Mar 2004 13:52, Chuck Mattsen wrote:
> [un-hijacking the thread and starting anew here...]
>
> On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 05:00, Rory wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I hope this question is appropriate for this list.
> >
> > I'm trying to install the Mandrake Online Wizard found at:
> > https://www.mandrakeonline.net/index.php
> >
> > couple of questions?
> > I'm assuming this will allow automatic on-line updates for Mandrake?  I
> > only ask this as I assumed that such a feature would just be bundled.
> > Or, is this just an updated version of "Mandrake Update" (which never
> > works properly, due to server load, I assume.)
> >
> > I tried installing the four files by saving to disk, right-clicking on
> > each one and choosing "software installation."
> >
> > However, during the process for each one I got the following error:
> > "Some package requested cannot be installed:
> > mdkonline-1.0-0.6mdk.noarch (due to unsatisfied perl(Gtk2::TrayIcon))"
> >
> > Does any know why?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rory
>
> I /think/ this is a feature/service in development and not quite ready for
> primetime, but I may be wrong.
>
> But, what the hey ... I went and grabbed the installer (clicked on the link
> for 10.0 in the right-hand column), and it installed the required
> perl/TrayIcon module, so not sure why your install was crapping out.
>
> In any case, after installing, uploading my configuration and personal
> data, the icon sits in the tray saying, "Service deactivated. Waiting for
> payment."
>
> Supposedly a free service, but perhaps they forgot?  :-)

It installs OK for me. The first computer is free, but you have to pay for
additional machines. If you have used it before with a different name for
your computer then that would explain why it says you must pay. A visit to
mandrakeonline.com  would allow you to check that.

The service does not seem to be operational yet. I think it is checking the
update servers which do not show any updates yet. At the moment all
enchancements to 10.0 are going into mandrale-devel/stable

As for the oroginal poster. What version of Mandrake are you using? If it is
not 10.0, then that might explain why it cannot find the required dependency.
You need to install the version of mdkonline appropriate for your release.

>I've been also trying to install superkaramba and get stopped at ./configure
>with the following error:
>no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

That is saying you do not have the gcc compiler installed.  You are also
likely to get many other errors once you install gcc and you rin ./configure
again.
 Each time you get an error read the message and use urpmf  to find the
package containg the missing file (see 'man urpmf ) and install it.
If you install the entire 'development' group of packages using your Software
Installer, then most of the packages you need will be installed.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org