On Sunday 28 Mar 2004 15:19, Rory wrote:
> > You sure you have gcc installed?
>
> Well, I'll go one better than that - what's gcc??  :)  I installed Mandrake
> 10.0 - 3 discs.  So, I assumed it would have installed what I needed but it
> looks like I'm wrong.  Where can I find it?  One of the discs?  I'm taking
> a look now but don't see anything.
>
> Does installing the Mandrake RPM and the superkaramba program both need
> gcc?
>
> Thanks,
> ~Rory

gcc is the "GNU C Compiler" you cannot compile anything without it. It is on
your CDs. Install with your Mandrake Software Install GUI.

You do not need gcc if you are installing a precompiled RPM.

If you have installed 10.0CE from the CDs then you might like to apply the
updates. There are a whole bunch of them now. You do not need mdkonline
installed to update your system. Just run the Mandrake Update GUI from your
Mandrake Control Centre. The first time you run it, it will allow you to
select an mirror.

>Okay, I just installed a tonne of stuff from development tools.  No luck.
>Can
>anyone recommend specific packages I should run to get this thing going?

Not unless you tell us what the error is.

It might be easier if you installed karamba instead of SuperKaramba.
There is a Mandrake RPM for Karamba in the contrib folder of the Mandrake
mirrors. If you type in a root terminal
urpmi.addmedia contrib
ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/stable/i586/Mandrake/RPMS2
with ../base/hdlist2.cz

(that command is all 1 line)
Then you can install karamba using the Software Install GUI
To learn more about urpmi and installing software take a look at the TWiki in
my signature.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net