On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 11:28 pm, many eyes viewed Margot's words:-
> Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >>
> >>Well, some success... I managed to download and install the new
> >>kernel (without getting cut off this time), and the shutdown
> >>now goes past the original hang point, but now it gets to this:
> >>
> >>md: md0 switched to read-only mode.
> >>Power down.
> >>
> >>...but it doesn't actually switch off!
> >>
> >>I assume that it is safe to just hit the power switch at this
> >>point, but is there some setting I could change so it will
> >>switch off automatically?
> >>
> >>Margot
> >
> >     No sooner did I post the link to Thomas' kernel, than he
> > released an updated version    2.6.4-1.tmb.4mdk
>
> Well, I've now experimented with several kernels, and the one which
> works best so far is 2.6.4-1.tmb.3mdk - machine still doesn't
> actually switch off, but everything else seems pretty stable.
>
> Perhaps now is the time to look at the acpi and apic settings that
> Tony suggested. I've seen these mentioned in other threads, but
> mainly relating to laptops. Mine's a desktop machine.
>
> Are there any standard settings for acpi and apic for different
> types of machine, or is is just a question of trying various
> combinations until I find one that works?
>
> I know that the settings appear in the append line in lilo.conf, but
> is this where I actually edit them, or is there another file for the
> settings which transfers the details into lilo.conf?
>
> >     Margot, the behavior you describe is probly a hardware or bios
> > configuration deficiency.  Specially if you close all
> > applications you don't want to start on the next boot,  open a
> > term and su to root, and type 'halt'. You might also experiment
> > with 'reboot'.  In any event, yes, you're probly OK to use the
> > power switch, particularly if you don't see any file system
> > warnings on the next boot.
> >
> >     On an ATX motherboard, try either "4 sec delay" or "instant
> > off" bios settings to see if one works better than the other.
>
> Is ATX a brand name, or is it some sort of specification? Mine's a
> Shuttle Spacewalker MV42N - I don't want to start fiddling with bios
> settings until I have some idea of what I'm doing!
>
> Margot

This is probably no help, but just in case?
For no reason this machine would not shut off, in fact I had to use shutdown
-h now as root. I could get it to work by changing the sessions, saving, then
changing them back. But only once after the first reboot, then it went back
to this behaviour.

In trying to get sound to work, I placed this line in my /etc/modules.conf
which is called something different in 10.x

options snd-via82xx index=0 dxs_support=2

Why this should effect the shutdown, I have no idea, but try some variations
and it might just work?

Charlie.

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524