Ronald J. Hall wrote:

On Monday 29 March 2004 10:42 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:

->     From what I've read it is. Both slow and packet loss. I've
->researched a lot, and it's convinced me to avoid wireless. Which
->just became available in my area, cheaply, and I'm very close to
->the access node antenna.  Much of what I've researched seemed to
->apply to LAN's too.  Actually most all of it said to expect about
->20% or more reduction in thruput due mainly to packet drops, and
->the need to re-try.  So it seems you're doin pretty well ;)

Well...this is between my Dlink wireless router and my laptop. I just wanted to be able to sit out on the porch in the summer evenings, put away a few brews, and read (and absorb) wisdom from the Mandrake mailing lists.

My regular in, is via cable-modem service, and its hardwired (LAN) to the 3 desktop computers in the house. I've never seen any packet loss there.

Just for web browsing and e-mail, the laptop seems to be quick enough. :-)

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 with Mdk 9.2 on it, and a Dell Truemobile 1300 miniPCI b/g wireless card.

The WAP is a Netgear WGR614 wireless router..

I get pretty good range considering there is an old microwave and cordless phone fairly close to the WAP..

I can sit out the back of the house and get about a 36mbps connection, which is fast enough to play mp3's that are on my server,
while browsing the net, reading emails via IMAP and thunderbird and working on perl scripts directly to my web servers cgi-bin directory...

I can't imagine going back to wired for my laptop, its so nice just to be able to cart it outside and spend the 4 hours battery life working in the garden..

I am only using 128bit WEP though, I have heard that WPA encryption/authentication has more of a performance hit.
(I suppliment WEP with HIDDEN SID which means that you can't connect unless you already know the SID..
and mac address filtering, which means that you can't connect unless the router is configured to recognise your MAC address.)

Its been very nice and reliable for me, which is surprising because I am using ndiswrapper from sourceforge to allow linux to ues the windows driver for the wireless card because Broadcom, (who suck) never released a linux driver. (though they were happy enough to make an embeeded linux OS router chip that was used in a linksys router.)

Just FYI, sorry for rambling. :-)

--
rgds

Frank Hauptle (aka Franki)

For free scripts, online webmaster tools, HTML, XHTML, Perl & PHP tutorials and stuff, visit:
http://htmlfixit.com Free web developer resources.

Please sign our petition to encourage notebook manufacturers to offer video card upgrades just like desktops.
http://www.petitiononline.com/inspiron/petition.html