Okay, based on your comments about the Install warning, I'm pretty sure I did not make that selection when I first installed and probably had 2.6 loaded.

I think something must have happened when I was downloading a number of the developer's tools, in an effort to find a dependency so I could install the MDK Online Wizard. After I did a big install, I noticed that the last item that follows was added to my boot options.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] rory]# lilo
Added linux *
Added linux-nonfb
Added failsafe
Added floppy
Added 2425-2

So, it added a login option of 2425-2, which is the kernel in question. I've never booted in to it and only booted in to the first option, above, but I guess this is the root of my issue.

I just downloaded 2.6.3-7 and installed it. Everything seemed to go fine. I rebooted but I still have 2.4 active. I guess both are installed and I just have to switch to 2.63 somehow. From the sounds of it, Lilo is the way to do it. Off to figure out what that it and how to set it up and use it. Yes, early days as a Linux user. I look forward to being able to look back on these posts and have a good laugh some time down the road.

Rory