On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 07:28:28AM -0500, Joseph S. Gardner wrote:
> Steve Philp wrote:
>
> > Axalon Bloodstone wrote:

> > > Guess i shouldn't tell you you can excecute things from the address bar
> > > also. huh
> >
> > Well known.  The other "fun trick" for these guys is playing with the
> > clock.  It seems there's no way to _display_ the clock without also
> > allowing the ability to modify the system time on Win95/8.  We caught it
> > when we suddenly had around 600 units of inventory with an aging date of
> > -31 days.
> >
> > Remind me again why I love this job?  :)
> >
> > --
> > Steve Philp
> > Network Administrator
> > Advance Packaging Corporation
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Try leaving access to the system clock alone and inform them that their time cards
> and payroll checks are tied into it.  It's amazing how people leave things alone when
> they believe any discrepancy in the date/time will effect their paychecks.  (kind of
> like installing a non-working smoke detectors in the bathrooms here at work to
> discourage "smoking in the boys room", they're not real bright around these parts)

Nope, we already had THAT fight.  Approximately 80% of the timestamps
utiltized by our ERP software takes the server-side notion of time.  Time
cards, of course, are one of those types.  We've had knock-down, drag-out
discussions about how "they punched in before the bell, but the computer
said they were late."  So, we installed clock sync software to all of the
workstations.  Now it's that they want to play with the clock (because it
will, for the most part, flip back to the correct time within 10 minutes).
Unfortunately, THAT PC isn't one of the clock sync clients.

I find it amusing that we got a shareware solution for the clock syncs (this
was before we discovered "net time /set /yes").  After a couple days, we
started having problem with the clients erroring out when started.  Wrote a
nice email to the developer, included the full error message and asked if he
had any suggetsions...  never heard a thing from him.

We use completely open source solutions for our web/email server.  We needed
some additional functions from qmailadmin to deal with a quirky situation in
our operation.  I wrote an inquiry to the qmailadmin author and had a patch
in my mailbox in around 45 minutes.  God, I love Open Source!