Hello, everyone!
I have just bought a used computer. The technical details are:
Intel Celeron 300MHz
392 MB RAM (SDRAM)
8 GB HDD (empty)
52x CD-ROM (LG - although I didn't have any problems with this one on M9.2)
3,5" floppy drive
10/100 Mb/s Realtek Ethernet card
NVIDIA GeForce 256 DDR video card
...and that's all.
I still have to buy a keyboard (an older kind than PS/2), sound card and mouse. I plan to use my computer for my in-house networking practices (along with my new, shiny - and smelly - Athlon XP 2,4 GHz, 512 MB computer). I have a few questions and I will be very greatful if anyone will give any answer to them:
1) What keyboard, mouse and (especially) sound card should I buy? I want the computer to fully work under Linux. I know from the Mandrake 9.2 hardware compability list that:
a) mouses made by Genius, Logitech and Microsoft generally work
b) keyboards made by Cherry, Logitech and Microsoft work
c) here list of compatible sound cards is somewhat longer (but the ones made by: Acer Inc., Acer Lab. Inc., Adlib, Adopen, Asus, Atrend, Audio Excel, Aureal, Aztech, C-Media El. Inc., Cirrus Logic, Creative Labs, Ensoniq, ESS Tech., ForteMedia Inc., HERCULES, IC Ensemble Inc., INTEL, Platform Tech. Inc., S3 Inc., Sil. Int. Sys., Trident Microsys., VIA Tech., Xilinx Inc. and YAMAHA have been reported to be working).
I know the list is hardly complete. The big question is what should I ask Linux-ignorant sellers to obtain a cheap and functional set?
2) I am thinking of using the older computer as a thin client (the new one would be my server). What are the advantages and disadvantages of that solution (especially in comparison to a Windows-like model of two-standalone computers)? Is it worth the effort?*
I look forward for reading your advices. This is something I have never done before (and I hope to learn something about Linux and computers in general).
TIA!
Wojciech Podgórni

* I would use the thin client to browse the Web, for editing texts and listening to the music - but I generally consider it as an exercise in Linux administration. I have never worked on ANY network before (not counting me being a ISP client).