On April 8, 2004 05:17 pm, Owain Sutton wrote:
> Extreme newbie here......
>
> I installed Mandrake 10 onto spare space on my main hard drive, which
> has XP in the first partition.  Everything went fine on the Linux side -
> but choosing Windows from the boot options caused a freeze, with a
> flashing cursor on black screen.  The XP recovery console couldn't cope
> with the Linux partitions being in the FAT, so I ended up with a
> complete repartition, reformat and reinstall of XP.  Not wanting to go
> through that twice, is there anything I should be doing with Mandrake
> other than following the default setup?

Of course another way to do it is to reinstall XP, which you've done, grab a
copy of Partition Magic, resize all your Windows partitions, both of them,
grab some spare space at the end, say 10 GB.

Now, using Partition Magic reformat all but 640 or so MB of it as Linux ext2.
The last 640 or so MB format as Linux swap.

Now..install MDK from the CD's.  It'll find the Linux partitons.  Just tell it
to put "/" on the one you formatted as ext2, MDK will happily format it as
ext3 and you're off. :-)

You can, of course, get a bit more compicated about it.  But I think that's
all we'll throw at you for now.

Also, you can do most of this in the installer by selecting expert install at
any time.  The main difference is that there is a Partition Magic workalike
in there but beware..it doesn't protect your files the way Partition Magic
claims to.

However, by installing it through the expert mode you can divide your Linux
partition in 2 or better yet 3 peices.  1 small hunk for /boot, one smallish
hunk for "/" and one largish hunk for "/home".  There's a reason for all this
once you come to upgrade your system.

Have a happy time!

ttfn

John