On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:42:52 +0100
Owain Sutton disseminated the following:

> That's pretty much what I did, although I didn't describe it well.  I
> had four partitions, with Windows in the first and windows programs and
> stuff in the second.  The third and fourth were empty FAT32s.  I booted
> from the Mandrake CD, and replaced those empty partitions with the
> recommended arangement for Mandrake, leaving the Windows ones
> untouched.  Lilo was installed, the Linux options working fine, but the
> Windows one led to the freeze.
>
> Yes, deleting XP would be nice, but there's Windows software that I need
> to use that by all accounts doesn't work properly under Linux emulation.

Hmmmm, having the Windows system and program directories on different
partitions, IMHO, is a bad idea. Windows programs 'like' to be installed on the
same drive as the system. Windows is easily confused, no? Having a seperate
'data' partition is no problem of course.

Aside from that, the only things I can think of are:

Get rid of the third and fourth, just leave them unpartitioned, unformatted, so
you have just one big block of blank disk. You can do this from within Windows
in Administrative Tools --> Computer Management. Just delete the FAT32
partitions you mention as being for the MDK install.

Also, what always worked for me, oh so many years ago, is having Mandrake
install the bootloader on the first sector of the MBR (you should see this
option come up during the last phase of the install). That is the default, but
just to make sure.

You shouldn't need any other software for partitioning; Mandrake, like many
other distros, is designed to install and play nice with existing Windows
installs, it shouldn't mess with the Windows install at all, in fact it will
even mount and accesss the Win drives for your automagically, something Win will
definitely not do.

As far as running Windows software under Linux, you should check out Crossover
Office, in my own experience I've seen it run everything from MS Office to
Photoshop to Quicken, all that stuff. Mail me offlist if you are interested ;-)

Worst case scenario, install Mandrake 1st, then install Win on the remaining
space. This will hose LILO, but that is easily fixed by then booting from the
Mandrake CD, hitting F1, and choosing to 'repair' or 'restore' the bootloader.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046