JoeHill wrote:

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:42:52 +0100
Owain Sutton disseminated the following:

That's pretty much what I did, although I didn't describe it well. I had four partitions, with Windows in the first and windows programs and stuff in the second. The third and fourth were empty FAT32s. I booted from the Mandrake CD, and replaced those empty partitions with the recommended arangement for Mandrake, leaving the Windows ones untouched. Lilo was installed, the Linux options working fine, but the Windows one led to the freeze.

Yes, deleting XP would be nice, but there's Windows software that I need to use that by all accounts doesn't work properly under Linux emulation.

Hmmmm, having the Windows system and program directories on different
partitions, IMHO, is a bad idea. Windows programs 'like' to be installed on the
same drive as the system. Windows is easily confused, no? Having a seperate
'data' partition is no problem of course.

I'm only talking about third-party programs - and no, it's never been a problem

Aside from that, the only things I can think of are:

Get rid of the third and fourth, just leave them unpartitioned, unformatted, so
you have just one big block of blank disk. You can do this from within Windows
in Administrative Tools --> Computer Management. Just delete the FAT32
partitions you mention as being for the MDK install.

Also, what always worked for me, oh so many years ago, is having Mandrake
install the bootloader on the first sector of the MBR (you should see this
option come up during the last phase of the install). That is the default, but
just to make sure.

OK, giving this a go now....wish me luck