martin brandt wrote:

Quoting et <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

OK so /home is a seperate partition /dev/hda3
and something is wrong with the lilo.conf entry that prohibits

reinstalling

it in the usual manner

What you have to do now is go back into rescue mode as before and choose
consule and when there you will have to learn how to mount the partition
(cannot remember, possibly rescue already does that, think it does) and
then type vi (the name of the text editor) and repair the incorrect entry in /etc/lilo.conf, I cannot advise you of the entry as I do not have a
seperate /home partition to give an example of, but in anycase first you
have to type vi into google and print of some vi text editor instruction,
as although it is a very powerful text editor it certainly will baffle the
newbie.

If you do need to mount /dev/hda(X) then you do it like this,

mkdir /mnt/temp
ls /mnt
temp
mount /dev/hda(X) /mnt/temp

punch up vi something like this,

vi /mnt/temp/etc/lilo.conf

and I think that will display lilo.conf in vi

John

--
linux counter #167806

Im trying to find the lil.conf but i cantg seem to find it. Ive looked in /etc/ and in mnt/temp/etc (temp doesnt exist). Where might it be? Might it called something else? Thanks.

Hmmm,
Then I think the partition on which the /etc/lilo.conf is on is not mounted

You don't find /mnt/temp,
you create it in the rescue consule, like this,

mkdir /mnt/temp

then check to see that you did,

ls /mnt/temp

returns, temp (amoungst other , probably)

then attatch the device/partition to that directory, like this,

mount /dev/hda(X) /mnt/temp

where (X) is the number of your OS's partition, ie where you installed the OS.

then if you like you can navigate in consule to the /etc/lilo.conf
and look at it, like this,

cd (means change directory)

cd /mnt/temp/etc/

that puts you inside /etc directory of the OS,
and from there you can display the
file on screen with,

cat /lilo.conf

then make a note of the stanzas to do with /home partition
and report, we can take it from there.

John

--
John Richard Smith