Quoting martin brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Quoting John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > martin brandt wrote:

> choose
> > partition
> entry

> you
> instruction,
> > the

> > >Im trying to find the lil.conf but i cantg seem to find it. Ive looked in
> > /etc/
> > >and in mnt/temp/etc (temp doesnt exist). Where might it be? Might it
> called
> >
> > >something else?
> > >Thanks.
> > >

> > Hmmm,
> > Then I think the partition on which the /etc/lilo.conf is on is not
> mounted
> >
> > You don't find /mnt/temp,
> > you create it in the rescue consule, like this,
> >
> > mkdir /mnt/temp
> >
> > then check to see that you did,
> >
> > ls /mnt/temp
> >
> > returns, temp (amoungst other , probably)
> >
> > then attatch the device/partition to that directory, like this,
> >
> > mount /dev/hda(X) /mnt/temp
> >
> > where (X) is the number of your OS's partition, ie where you installed
> > the OS.
> >
> > then if you like you can navigate in consule to the /etc/lilo.conf
> > and look at it, like this,
> >
> > cd (means change directory)
> >
> > cd /mnt/temp/etc/
> >
> > that puts you inside /etc directory of the OS,
> > and from there you can display the
> > file on screen with,
> >
> > cat /lilo.conf
> >
> > then make a note of the stanzas to do with /home partition
> > and report, we can take it from there.
> >
> > John
> >

> > --
> > John Richard Smith
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Ah ha! Well my linux partition is hda5, mounted that, and in the lilo.conf i

 found:

 other=/dev/hda3
         label="old_windows"
         table=/dev/hda

 Now I installed windows over my old windows partition, which an image of
 seems
 to still appear in the windows boot loader, and obviously is causing problems

 when booting on linux. I need to remove this but how?

 (P.S. Is it me or is everyone else's mail getting returned occaisionally?)